Agios Stefanos is a suburb in northeast Attica, 25
km from the centre of Athens.
It is a developing region and its history is rather new.
When on January 30, 1923 the Greek-Turkish
agreement for the exchange of populations was signed, a
Greek commission went to towns and villages of
Constantinople and Asia Minor recorded the Greek
This is how the history of Ag. Stefanos begins (72
years ago) when on May 1, 1924 seventy (70) families from
the region of Constantinople – Litres, Nymphes – and 36
families from Asia Minor, Ikonion, Prokopi, Makri, etc.,
reached, after much hardship, this place as exchange
They settled in Dekeleiko (a name we find in Homer
and it means forest area) or Bogiati. The only thing that
existed there then was the railway station named “Oeon”.
The refugees founded the New Bogiati or Agios Stefanos.
In tents given by the government, they started
dynamically to build their households. Men of letters and
arts from good families with large estates in their lost
motherlands they arrived here and started, having been
given a plot of land in place of what they had lost, paying
50,000 drachmas for the settling.
The population of Ag. Stefanos is 9451 inhabitants,
continuously growing by people from the centre of Athens
who seek better living conditions.
Our Municipality has got the following schools:
- 2 State and 2 Private Kindergartens
- 1 State Nursery School
- 2 State Primary Schools
- 1 State High School and Lyceum
- 1 Private High School and Lyceum
- 1 Institute of Vocational Training